Friday, September 23, 2011

Wikis Wikis Wikis!!


Hello fellow educators it seems that today we are talking about wikis and all the wonderful things they have to offer in the classroom. Well to start seeing as I will be teaching high school history the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of wikis is the idea that everybody can have the freedom to input their ideas or thoughts on whatever the central subject is. Let’s say I am teaching my lesson on the roaring 20’s and talking about prohibition and how it affected this country. I think it would be great for students to log on to their blogs and throw around there thoughts and feelings about the time period and then as a class they would create a class wiki completely explaining prohibition and other important factors of the roaring 20’s. I think that by creating a class wiki for every core lesson throughout the year is a great idea not only because the students would be able to go back and take a look at what they did throughout the whole year but also if on the slim chance there is a final consisting of all the lessons they have the ultimate study guide right on their computer. I kind of have a love hate relationship with Wiki’s, when used correctly wiki’s can be a great tool and can bring a whole class together to get involved for the lesson. On the other hand wiki’s can be a nightmare due to the fact that they can be edited and if one student decides to edit another students work this could create some conflict between the students which would lead to complete chaos. I am definitely willing to give wiki’s a shot when I start teaching but it will most likely be something small. If everything goes to plan then possibly I may go to bigger and better things. Wiki’s are pretty much a love/hate relationship with me. Thanks for reading.

Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. I like your love/hate point. this concept can be use when you talk about Technology in the classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like you idea about history projects. You could settup a timeline and have the students fill in the areas.

    ReplyDelete